Here is our guide for people who need to get rid of bulky waste.
Bulky Waste Disposal Guide
‘Bulky waste’ is any item or materials you want to dispose of that cannot be recycled or put in your wheelie bin.
What are the disposal options for household bulky waste?
There are a number of ways to legally get rid of bulky waste:
- Council dump – drive it to your local civic amenity site, tip or Council Household Waste & Recycling Centre
- Council collection – book a bulky waste / large item collection from your local council
- Skip hire – hire a skip
Council dump – what bulky waste can I take to my local tip?
If you have time and transport, a few trips to your local household waste and recycling centre is often the cheapest option to get rid of your bulky waste.
- Don’t hire a van – council tips tend to have height restrictions to prevent tradespeople from using them so a van may not be allowed in
- If your waste is likely to make your car dirty, transport it in containers or use a tarpaulin or boot liner.
- Check what types of waste they allow – For instance, some tips will not take paint or oil.
- Avoid queues – Saturday and Sundays are usually heaving so wait times can be long. If possible, go on a weekday.
- Take proof of residence – most tips require evidence that you live locally. This could be ni the form of a driving license or council tax bill.
Council large-item waste collection service for householders
Every local authority provides residents with a collection of bulky household waste service. They are not supposed to charge a fee for the waste disposal part but they can charge a fee to cover transportation.
Response times can be slow, you usually have to put the waste at the front of your property, and some items and materials will be excluded. Check with your local council.
Hiring a skip is a simple solution to get rid of large items. The beauty of skip hire is the fixed upfront price.
Martlands Skip Hire
To order a skip for your project, just call us at the friendly Martlands Skip Hire office on a regional number below for a skip hire quote that is tailored to your needs. We’ll be pleased to help!