Occupiers and owners of private property are responsible for clearing away of any fly-tipping on their land. The local council will not clear rubbish that has been dumped free of charge, but they may investigate and take enforcement action. The Environment Agency investigates larger or hazardous incidents of illegal dumping. So what can you do as a landowner? Read our fly-tipping prevention advice for landowners…
Fly-Tipping Prevention Advice For Landowners
First, you should always report fly-tipping on your land to the local authority – it could be linked to other incidents.
What to do with illegally dumped waste on your land
- Be Careful. Some fly-tipped waste is hazardous. Do not open bags and beware that there could be contaminated or dangerous material.
- Record details about the waste. If possible, take a photograph
- Report the incident – do not remove the waste until the authorities have been notified.
- Secure the waste so that it is not interfered with or added to.
- Fly-tippers are breaking the law –and will not welcome people observing them. Don’t put yourself at risk – if a crime is in progress, call 999.
- When arranging for disposal, use a registered waste carrier like Martlands, If the waste is dumped elsewhere, you could face an unlimited fine.
- Ensure that you get documentation from whoever takes the waste away.
- If you remove the waste to a licenced waste site yourself, you must be registered as a waste carrier.
- If the waste is hazardous, make sure that it is disposed of by someone licensed to deal with it.
- Keep full details of your clearance costs. A conviction of the culprit might mean that they can be recovered.
Protect your land from the fly-tipping by:
- Restricting access to your land with gates or other barriers like earth bunds, tree trunks or boulders
- Make sure gates are kept closed and locked
- Improve visibility, so fly-tippers are not hidden from view.
- Install or improve lighting
- Consider placing deterrent signage and CCTV cameras.
- Swiftly clear any dumped waste to discourage others from adding to it.
Martlands Skip Hire
Don’t risk a fine: use a fully licensed waste carrier. To discover more about hiring a skip, call Martlands Skip Hire on one of our numbers below:-
Ormskirk Skip Hire 01704 779345
Wigan Skip Hire 01942 417456
Bamber Bridge Skip Hire 01772 364 399
Chorley Skip Hire 01257 752399
Leyland Skip Hire 01772 364399
Maghull Skip Hire 0151 909 6399