You must make sure that any hazardous waste you produced or handled causes no harm or damage. Read our guide to hazardous waste and what the law says to ensure your waste management is compliant.
Guide To Hazardous Waste – What The Law Says
You have certain responsibilities known as the ‘waste duty of care’. There are extra requirements for those who are:
- Waste producers or holders (you produce or store waste)
- Waste carriers (you collect and transport waste)
- Waste consignees (you receive waste, e.g. for recycling or disposal)
Guide To Hazardous Waste – Is your waste hazardous?
Waste is considered hazardous if it is harmful to humans or the environment.
Some examples include:
- ozone depleting substances, in items like fridges
You must follow these steps if your business produces, holds or stores waste that is hazardous or has hazardous waste removed from its premises by a contractor.
- Use an authorised business to collect, recycle and dispose of hazardous waste – check that the waste carrier is registered and their waste site has the appropriate environmental permits.
- Fill in the waste consignment note you are given by your waste transporter – keeping one copy and giving the other two copies to the waste carrier.
- Keep records for three years onsite at the premises that produced the waste:
- consignment notes
- consignee returns
- any related documents, such as carrier schedules and records of any rejected loads
Guide To Hazardous Waste – Additional requirements
There are extra requirements if:
Your waste is rejected
You must follow any guidance on rejected loads if hazardous waste is rejected by the processing site.
You transport your own waste
If you transport any waste that is deemed waste from your own business or another, you must meet the requirements for licensed waste carriers.
You receive, treat or dispose of waste
There are requirements for consignees that apply to those who:
- receive hazardous waste –including any deliveries of waste within your own business
- treat or dispose of any hazardous waste on your premises – again, this includes your own waste
If in doubt, call Martlands Waste Management for expert advice and waste removal on one of our local numbers below:-
Ormskirk Skip Hire 01704 779345
Maghull Skip Hire 0151 909 6399
Wigan Skip Hire 01942 417456
Chorley Skip Hire 01257 752399
Skelmersdale Skip Hire 01695 769123