What Are Waste Carrier Licences?

By in ,

Waste carrier licencesWaste carrier licences can be confusing for those who are not in the know. Find out what your responsibilities are and why you should be using a properly licensed waste carrier for your business waste.

Waste Carrier Licences – Who has to register as a waste carrier?

Anyone who transports someone else’s waste (not just waste contractors) to make money must be registered with the Environment Agency (EA) as a waste carrier. Tradesmen who transport building materials or demolition waste that they created themselves also must be registered as a waste carrier by law. The requirement applies regardless of where you are taking waste (even if it is back to your own premises or directly to a licensed disposal facility. It makes no difference if you are a self-employed sole trader, a partnership or a limited company.

Waste Carrier Licences – What happens if you don’t register?

Failure to register is illegal and, if you are caught, you will be prosecuted. Penalties include a fine and the vehicle used to transport waste being seized.

Waste Carrier Licences – What does this mean for people who have waste to dispose of?

Because registration is relatively easy for a legitimate waste carrier, those who are not licensed are very likely to be cowboys who will dispose of the waste unlawfully. So, whenever you use contractors who remove waste, you should ask them to show you their waste carrier license number. You can also check with the Environment Agency by calling 08708 506506. If your waste carrier is not registered, don’t use them – choose a professional organisation like Martlands Waste Management. If not, the likelihood is that your waste will be dumped up on the side of the road. Fly-tipping costs the taxpayer more than £100m each year.

Waste Carrier Licences – In short?

  • If you employ someone to take away your waste, it’s your responsibility to make sure they’re licensed to do so.
  • If you remove building waste that you’ve created, and you run a business, you need to either be licensed as a waste carrier or hire an approved carrier.
  • If you transport someone else’s person’s waste, you must be licensed as a waste carrier.
For more information about ‘Waste Carrier Licences’ contact a member of our team on one of the local numbers below:-

Ormskirk Skip Hire 01704 779345
Maghull Skip Hire 0151 909 6399
Wigan Skip Hire 01942 417456
Chorley Skip Hire 01257 752399
Skelmersdale Skip Hire 01695 769123